The Best way to Buy Alcohol for your Wedding Reception

Here in Commonwealth of Virginia, if you have a wedding reception and you want to serve beer, wine or liqueur of any kind, you will need whats called a Banquet License. Today, I want to share with you some information to help get you one for your wedding day.

Basic ally there are two different license types that you will need to apply for, either a banquet or a banquet special event license.


This license is issued to individuals (representing themselves or a group/company) for private events where alcohol is provided at no charge to guests. Also known as a “one-day” license.

Authorizes complimentary beer, wine or mixed beverages; guests may bring their own alcohol; or beer and/or wine sales (not for profit).

Banquet Special Event

This license is issued to duly organized nonprofit corporations or associations that are holding a public or private event being conducted for an athletic, charitable, civic, educational, political or religious purpose. The event must not be for personal monetary gain.

Authorizes beer and/or wine sales for on-premises consumption, or guests may bring their own alcohol. Does not authorize the sale of mixed beverages.

Apply Online

Apply for all banquet licenses using eBanquet. You may use your credit card. Banquet applications may be completed online if submitted at least 12 days prior to the event date.

You may also apply via mail or in person using the Application for Banquet License form (PDF), within 10 days of the event. The completed form must be submitted with payment to the appropriate Virginia ABC regional office. Please note: Regional offices do not accept credit cards. Applicants are encouraged to contact their regional office for additional qualification guidelines before submitting their application.